To say I felt honored when presented with this project is quite an understatement. Grandmother’s Butterflies is a quilt that waited a long time for completion. Fifty years is a long time to wait, but this quilt’s time finally came.
I used Electric Quilt to lay out the design. This one probably didn’t need it as it was simple, but this is often part of my process. Brown fabrics for the front and back would complete the choices.
Quilt Block Prep
The first real challenge was to prepare the blocks. Due to the hand-embroidered nature, the blocks themselves were not flat. Below is a before-and-after look at how they turned out.
I used best press, heat, my t-shirt press, stabilizer, and lots of love to wrangle these beauties. After all this, they assembled and were ready for the long arm.
Ginger Flight seemed like the perfect E2E pattern for this quilt and the owner agreed.
There is a very deliberate look to these butterflies as they move across the top (and bottom) of this quilt. The decision was to use Linen Glide. This allows the blocks to remain unhindered while showing off the butterflies where the brown fabric resides.
Quit Back and Label
There is also another amazing quilt from the same customer that includes 50 embroidered blocks! But this is for another post.
- Visit the Blog Page on my Website
- Join the Facebook group Sewing and Quilting with Robyn. Here you can not only see what I am up to, but also share your own projects!
You must log in to post a comment.